Berkley, Royal Oak Partner to Honor Dr. King on MLK Day
Media contacts: Jessica Stilger, Berkley Schools Communications Director; firstname.lastname@example.org; 248.837.8095
Berkley, MI – January 9, 2023 – The cities and school districts of Royal Oak and Berkley are proud to announce their joint MLK Day event. On Monday, January 16, the community is invited to honor Dr. King through learning and action. The commemoration, “A Day On, Not a Day Off,” will begin with a donation drive at Berkley High School (2325 Catalpa Dr), at 9:00 am.
At 9:30 am, guests are invited to participate in a freedom walk through the Berkley High School neighborhood. The first 250 guests will receive a commemorative event button. All ages and members of the community are invited to attend.
For those unable to attend in person, a virtual presentation will be hosted on the Berkley Schools and Royal Oak Schools Facebook pages. The virtual presentation will include a keynote speech by Cornelius Godfrey, Oakland Schools Diversity and Equity Consultant, a message from Senator Gary Peters, performances by Berkley Schools student choirs, messages from Royal Oak and Berkley schools student diversity groups, messages from both mayors, and more.
Following the walk, the public is invited to participate in service projects at Berkley High School which will include donation sorting, blanket making for those in need and card making for Veterans and first responders.
The event committee will also be collecting donations to support the following groups:
- Redford Brightmoor Initiative
- Cass Community Social Services
- Judson Center
- Gleaners Community Food Bank
Donations items requested:
- Non-perishable food: Canned goods, pasta, peanut butter, jelly, granola bars, boxed food items
- Home items: Toilet paper, dish soap, paper towels, laundry detergent
- Toiletries: Shampoo/conditioner (including the following brands: Shea moisture, As I Am, Curls, Aunt Jackie's), deodorant, shaving cream, feminine products
- Diapers and pull-ups: All sizes, no opened packages
- New children's books: Infant through middle school age
- Clothing: Socks (all sizes), underwear (men and children), winter hats (adult)
Items will be collected through 12 pm and then delivered that day by volunteers.
What: Berkley & Royal Oak MLK Day Event: A Day On, Not a Day Off - A service event and freedom walk
Who: Public is invited
Where: Berkley High School, 2325 Catalpa Dr, Berkley, MI 48072
When: January 16, 2023
- 9:00 am - Doors open at BHS & donation drive begins
- 9:30 am - Freedom walk & virtual presentation
- 10:15 am - Service projects
Why: The 6th annual joint event to honor and remember Dr. King.