City of Berkley Puts a Call Out to the Community to Fill City Council Vacancy
Prospective Applicants have until Thursday, January 5, 2023, at 5:00 PM to Apply.
Media contacts: Matthew Baumgarten, City of Berkley; 248-658-3350; email@example.com
Berkley, MI – December 20, 2022 – With the retirement announcement of Mayor Dan Terbrack, the Berkley City Council is seeking applications from residents of Berkley to fulfill Mayor Pro Tem Bridget Dean's vacated Council seat as she steps into the mayoral role. The open council term ends in November 2023.
Mayor Terbrack’s official last day serving the community is December 31, 2022. Mayor Pro Tem Bridget Dean will succeed him beginning January 1, 2023. At that time, City Council has 30 days to fill the vacated seat following the City’s Charter as outlined in their adopted Rules and Order of Procedure.
Council will appoint the Ad Hoc committee comprised of Council members Jessica Vilani and Steve Baker to review and numerically score prospective candidate applications based on criteria including community/municipal engagement, professional experience, background and diversity, and any other criteria that City Council may establish. After the committee’s review process is completed, the scores and all of the applications of the candidates will be provided to the whole City Council.
The top five prospective members applicants will be invited to appear before the City Council at their next regularly scheduled meeting on January 9, 2023, at 7 PM to offer presentations as to why they would serve the City best as a member of the Council.
To meet the 30-day deadline required by the City’s Charter, an appointment will be made at or before the February 2023, regular meeting of the City Council.
Those interested in applying to the Berkley City Council may submit an application here: https://form.jotform.com/CityofBerkley/BCApplication. Prospective applicants may also drop off a resume and/or cover letter at Berkley City Hall, 3338 Coolidge Highway, Berkley, MI 48072. Anyone with questions may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply for the Berkley City Council opening is Thursday, January 5, 2023, at 5:00 PM.
If an applicant is selected among the top 5 candidates via the Ad Hoc Committee, applicants will be invited to present themselves to the City Council.Overview of the Application & Appointment Timeline
- December 20, 2022: Application period for the forthcoming vacant City Council seat opens.
- December 31, 2022: Mayor Terbrack’s retirement effective at midnight.
- January 1, 2023: Mayor Pro Tem Dean vacates the City Council seat to assume the office of the Mayor. City Council has 30 days to fill the vacated seat.
- January 5, 2023: Application period for Council candidates closes at 5:00 PM.
- January 6, 2023: Ad Hoc Committee meets to score applicants at an open meeting. The top 5 applicants will be invited to present at the following City Council meeting (remaining candidates will be notified of their standing and are also welcome to address the City Council).
- January 9, 2023: Council candidates will present and address themselves to the whole City Council.
- January 23, 2023: City Council to hold a Special Meeting (following the 30-day City Charter deadline) to appoint a nominee to fill the Council vacancy. Each City Councilmember may nominate a single candidate for appointment. A roll call vote will be conducted until a nominee receives the vote of a majority.
- February 6, 2023: Nominee is sworn in by the City Clerk.
For more information about the City Council, visit www.berkleymich.org/citycouncil.