City of Berkley Seeks to Fill City Council Vacancy
Prospective Applicants have until Tuesday, November 29, 2022, at 12:00 PM to Apply.
Media contacts: Torri Mathes, City of Berkley; 248-658-3333; email@example.com
Berkley, MI – November 22, 2022 – With the election of State Representative-Elect Natalie Price to the Michigan Legislature, the Berkley City Council is seeking applications from residents of Berkley to fulfill the remainder of her Council term ending in November 2023.
Per the City’s Charter, the City Council has 30 days to fill the vacancy following Ms. Price's resignation and complete the process outlined in their adopted Rules and Order of Procedure.
The City Council officially began this process at the November 21 public meeting. It appointed an Ad Hoc committee comprised of Mayor Pro Tem Bridget Dean and Council members Jessica Vilani and Steve Baker to review and numerically score prospective candidate applications based on criteria including community/municipal engagement, professional experience, background and diversity, and any other criteria that City Council may establish. After the committee’s review process is completed, the scores and all of the applications of the candidates shall be provided to the whole of the City Council.
The top five prospective members applicants will be invited to appear before the City Council at their next regularly scheduled meeting on Monday, December 5, 2022, at 7 PM to offer presentations as to why they would serve the City best as a member of the Council.
To meet the 30-day deadline required by the City’s Charter, an appointment will be made at or before the Monday, December 19, 2022, regular meeting of the City Council.
Those interested in applying to the Berkley City Council may submit an application here: https://form.jotform.com/CityofBerkley/BCApplication. Prospective applicants may also drop off a resume and/or cover letter at Berkley City Hall, 3338 Coolidge Highway, Berkley, MI 48072. Anyone with questions may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline to apply for the Berkley City Council opening is Tuesday, November 29, 2022, at 12:00 PM.
Per City Charter, applications must be accepted for 5 business days.
If an applicant is selected among the top 5 candidates via the Ad Hoc Committee, applicants will be invited to present themselves to the City Council.
Overview of the Application & Appointment Timeline
- November 29 at 12:00 PM: Prospective Berkley City Council candidate applications are due.
- November 30 - December 2: Ad Hoc Committee to review prospective candidates at an open meeting. The top 5 applicants will be invited to present at the following City Council meeting (remaining candidates will be notified of their standing and are also welcome to address the City Council).
- December 5 at 7 PM: Prospective Berkley City Council candidates will present and address themselves to the whole of City Council
- December 5 at 7 PM: Each City Councilmember may nominate a single candidate for appointment. A roll call vote will be conducted until a nominee receives the vote of a majority.
- December 19 at 7 PM: Nominee is officially appointed by the City Council
- January 9, 2023, at 7 PM: Nominee is sworn in by the City Clerk.
For more information about the City Council, visit www.berkleymich.org/citycouncil.