STORM PSA UPDATE (8/12/21) as of 12:30 PM
City crews are currently triaging tree damage, debris issues, medical emergencies, and assisting DTE with downed power lines.
Current local rain data shows that we received around 2-4 inches over the course of last night and the morning, with the heaviest downpour yielding about 1 inch of rain happening within a span of 20-minutes. For perspective, the City typically receives about 3 inches of rain per month.
Widespread reports show communities across Southeast Michigan are experiencing similar issues. DTE has stated that about 600,000 DTE Energy customers are without power after wind gusts of more than 70 mph and heavy rains ripped across Michigan and surrounding states. The severe weather caused damage to parts of the electric infrastructure and knocked down more than 3,100 power lines. DTE has stated that this will be a multi-day outage.
As a reminder, please use the following outlets for storm-related queries:
- For downed trees - call Public Safety at 248-658-3380
- For downed power lines - call DTE Energy at 800-477-4747
- For the latest power outage updates - outage.dteenergy.com/map.
- For medical or other life-threatening emergencies - call 911
- If you have experienced any basement flooding, residents are encouraged to report a claim using the Sewer Backup Claims Form here: www.berkleymich.org/ReportAClaim.
- The data collected from the public will help us assess what is needed for our community as we communicate with our State and County municipal partners.
Given no power at City Hall, the Library, and DPW, the BEST WAY TO CONTACT those departments at this time is via email. However, we are asking for your patience as we continue to navigate and assess the outages. You can find Department information at www.berkleymich.org/contactus.
Lastly, Parks & Recreation has shared that the Community Center is available for anyone who needs to use it (e.g. charge your devices, public WiFi, cool off, etc.).
ROAD CLOSURES: There is still a road closure on Wiltshire between Ellwood & Greenfield due to a primary power line being down. Please seek alternative routes.