Secretary of State Branch Offices to Reopen June 1 by Appointment Only
Updated renewal mailers will provide additional information on easiest means of conducting transactions
LANSING, MICH. Secretary of State branch offices will reopen June 1 by appointment only for essential transactions not available online in order to continue to balance the need to provide critical services and protect public health.
“While the offices were closed to the public we conducted more than 3,000 emergency appointments for essential workers and planned and implemented protocols so that we could reopen in a way that ensures the safety of employees and all Michiganders,” said Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson. “Customers can be confident they’ll be able to conduct their business with us safely and efficiently.”
Beginning the week of June 1, all 131 branch offices in Michigan will be open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for appointment-only services for transactions including:
- Driver licenses and state ID transactions that must be done in person
- Title transfers
- Operator, CDL, chauffeur, mechanic and motorcycle testing
- Seasonal commercial vehicle renewal
Anyone scheduling an appointment or receiving an appointment reminder will also be instructed on how to safely attend their appointment by:
- Arriving at the appointment alone
- Wearing a mask or homemade face covering over their mouth and nose
- Waiting in their vehicle or outside prior to the appointment time and maintaining six feet of distance when announcing themselves and their appointment to staff at the doors
- Following directions on where to stand during the transaction — only stepping forward toward the clerk when providing or retrieving documents
- Cancelling their appointment if they develop symptoms of COVID-19 or come into contact with someone who has COVID-19 within 14 days of the appointment
- Adhering to CDC guidelines when in public
- Red: Vehicle registration
- Blue: Driver’s license
- Green: State identification card
- Teal: Watercraft
- Gray: Snowmobile
- Purple: Special plate
A sample of the updated renewal forms can be found here. To schedule an appointment visit Michigan.gov/SOS or call 888-SOS-MICH. Advance appointments can be made up to 180 days ahead of time. Same-day appointments become available 24 hours prior to the appointment time.
Information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. The latest information is available at Michigan.gov/Coronavirus and CDC.gov/Coronavirus.