Marihuana in Berkley
Berkley, MI – February 22, 2022 – The Berkley City Council, took into account the recommendations of the appeals hearing officer, decided on the administrative appeals filed by 21 marihuana business license applicants appealing the City Manager’s scoring of their license applications, making the applicants’ scores now final.
The City Council’s decisions on the appeals resulted in the number one and two applicants ranked and a three-way tie for the third position. This decision is important because the City Code limits the number of licenses the City may issue (up to three marihuana business locations).
At the February 7, 2022, meeting, the Council considered its options and reviewed all potential options for addressing the three-way tie with the City administration and the City attorney. Council instructed staff to prepare an ordinance to update the number of allowable licenses to five from three. The first reading of the ordinance update will likely come before Council for consideration at their March 7th Regular meeting.
Official scores for all applicants can be reviewed here.
Current steps in the process at this time include the City Manager referring the top two ranked applicants to the Berkley Planning Commission for site plan review**.
**Applicants that are tied at the third-highest scoring position, have been cautioned that proceeding to site plan review at this time will be at the applicant’s own risk and expense.
A Quick Synopsis
- City Manager Matt Baumgarten held a public meeting in July 2021 and scored the marihuana license applications that were submitted to the City between June 15 and June 29, 2020, based on the scoring criteria adopted by City Council.
- Per the City’s ordinance, the appeals process was conducted by the Council-appointed Hearing Officer where applicants had an opportunity to challenge their scores.
- Following the appeal hearings, the Hearing Officer submitted his recommendations for a decision to the City Council.
- City Council reviewed the recommendations of the appeals hearing officer filed by 21 appellants making the applicants’ scores now final.
Marihuana Policy Documents & Materials
Marihuana Zoning Ordinance [Adopted December 2019]
Marihuana Licensing Ordinance
Marihuana Business License Evaluation Merit Point System [Adopted February 3, 2020]
Allowable Locations - "Green Zone" Map [As Adopted in the Marihuana Zoning Ordinance]
Developers Meeting Presentation [Presented March 6, 2020 - Updated June 1, 2020]
Frequently Asked Questions
Marihuana Process Memo | 05.18.2020
Marihuana Business License Application Materials - THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS NOW CLOSED
[All Items must be completed in Fillable PDF, Printed, and Signed]
Marihuana Business License Application
Additional Stakeholder Sheet
Additional Onsite Managers Sheet
Official Merit Scoring Results
At the January 18, 2022, meeting, City Council reviewed the recommendations of the appeals hearing officer filed by 21 appellants making the applicants’ scores now final.
- Official scores for all applicants can be reviewed here.
To see current applicants under Site Plan Review
Summary Sheet of Merit Scoring Results by the City Manager
- Marihuana Unofficial Scoring Results and Guidance Memo
- See video recording here.
- Marijuana Business Ordinance Recommendations from Gregory K. Need, Hearing Officer
- Bud McCools Unofficial Merit Score by the Manager as of November 12, 2021
- See video recording here.
- Hearing Officer Recommendation-Appeal of PMA 20-002 (Bud McCools)
City Media Releases
(February 2022) Berkley City Council Approves Marihuana Business License Scoring
(January 2022) Marihuana Hearing Officer holds Appeals Hearing for applicant Bud McCool
(December 2021) City of Berkley Marihuana Update - December 6, 2021
(November 2021) Marihuana Hearing Officer Provides Recommendation to City and Prospective Business Applicants
(September 2021) Marihuana Business Licensing Appeals
(July 2021) City of Berkley Moves to the Appeals Portion of the Marihuana Application Process
(July 2021) City of Berkley Moves Forward to the Next Stage of the Marihuana Application Process
(September 2020) City of Berkley Announces Merit Point Results for Marihuana Business License Applications
(September 2020) City of Berkley Marihuana Business License Application Update
(May 2020) City of Berkley Announces Updated Marihuana Business License Application Process
(February 2020) City of Berkley Has Released the Marihuana Business License Applications
(August 2019) Marihuana Ordinance Update
(June 2019) City of Berkley Plans to Accept Marihuana Applications in 2020
(February 2019) Watch Town Hall Meeting on Recreational Marihuana
(February 2019) Take an Online Survey on Recreational Marihuana
(November 2018) Berkley Council Postpones Action on Proposed Marihuana Ordinance