It's MerriMonth™ in Downtown Berkley!
The Downtown Development Authority (DDA) is excited to announce its annual MerriMonth event celebrations will continue this month in December.
While holiday gatherings may look different this year, the excitement and anticipation remain high here in Downtown Berkley. Downtown Berkley has so much to offer and the DDA has created a series of events and activities to get you out and about in a COVID-19 safe and cheerful manner!
“The DDA is known in the area for putting on MerriMonth, a month-long celebration of various holiday events,” stated Jennifer Finney, Berkley DDA Executive Director. “With COVID-19, we know that our entire community needs some holiday cheer. So we’ve designed events that are both virtual and in-person. Our in-person events will be socially distant and safe to help support our beloved downtown businesses, and our fun and interactive virtual events will certainly get anyone into the holiday spirit. The main goal of this year's MerriMonth is to encourage everyone to shop local to support our downtown Berkley businesses in a safe way.”
Whether it’s shopping or family-fun activities, the Merrimonth events in Downtown Berkley will run from November 28 through February 1. Downtown Berkley has a spectacular collection of specialty retailers and restaurants that is a bit of a hidden gem in the Metro Detroit area. What better time would it be to explore all that it has to offer during the best time of the year!
This year’s MerriMonth events include:
Holiday Window Display:
From November 28 to January 18, walk the streets of Downtown Berkley to see all the “winter wonderland” themed window displays. You can also vote for your favorite. Check out the Facebook album for official voting rules: www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=DowntownBerkley&set=a.10158887917088774
Merrily We Give:
From November 28 to December 31, donations are being collected for Gleaners Community Food Bank at Berkley Common, Sum Girls Boutique, Yellow Door, and the VITRINE Gallery.
Shop Main Street:
Main Street Oakland County is encouraging everyone to shop local (safely) and this campaign will be for the entire month of December. The DDA will be giving out $750 worth of Downtown Berkley Bucks to select shoppers. You can shop in-person, online at Downtown Berkley’s virtual Main Street powered through ShopLoyal, or on individual eCommerce sites. Please email your receipt (including the timestamp) to firstname.lastname@example.org to be entered to win.
Winter-themed Scavenger Hunt:
This socially-distant fun holiday hunt will allow you to explore our downtown on your own terms. This hunt runs from December 1 to February 1, and the first 3 individuals to successfully complete the hunt will receive $50 in Downtown Berkley Bucks.
#ShopLocal in Downtown Berkley:
Give the perfect gift to your family and friends from Downtown Berkley! On December 10 and December 11, select businesses will be open until 8 pm (or later), and all are offering great promotions!
- Berkley Common: With every $50 gift card purchase, Berkley Common will give you a $10 gift card. Valid until April 1st, 2021.
- Sum Girls Boutique: Staying open late on Friday. Here, you can spend $50 on gift cards, and receive $10 in Come Back Bucks. Fun promotional swag will also be given away.
- The Artsy Umbrella: Staying open until 8 pm on Friday. Enjoy complimentary coffee, cocoa, and sweet treat station along with their signature "Umbrella Game". They’ll also have giveaways and goodies just for stopping in.
- Annabelle’s: You’ll find 10% off all merchandise except sale items.
- VITRINE Gallery and Gifts: Free Silver Logo Tote with a $40 purchase!
- Fresh Collective Kitchen & Market: Warm up with a cup of local coffee or hot chocolate to keep you going on your shopping adventure.
- Ullman’s Health & Beauty: Check out their winter wonderland, enjoy a hot tea to go, and 10% off all loose leaf tea. They are also looking forward to hosting an artist from Amber jewelry.
Joyful Music Concert:
On Saturday, December 12 from 3 - 4 PM, join us virtually for some holiday music. Lillian Dean and her musical talent is back again this year! This concert can be viewed on the local Berkley cable TV channel 10 for both Comcast and WOW.
Story Time with Santa:
Santa will virtually come to Berkley on Saturday, December 19 from 12 - 1 PM to read various holiday stories to children via Zoom. Please click here to register for this event.
To stay up-to-date with the holiday festivities and frequently asked questions, visit www.downtownberkley.com/merrimonth-2020.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to go to a certain number of stores along 12 Mile and Coolidge to be entered to win any of the prizes?
- No. This year, we’re making it very easy. Each event will have different criteria. Please stay tuned for more details!
- With COVID still around, how are you keeping businesses and event-goers safe?
- As we move towards opening up our City to welcome back our beloved patrons, we want to ensure that we have everyone's safety and health in mind for all the fun events we have planned for the remainder of 2020.
- While each event set-up might look a bit different (this will be determined based on the State’s MI Safe Start Plan), below are safety precautions for all in-person events:
- Please be mindful of 6-feet social distancing between other shoppers, business owners and their employees, and the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) staff and volunteers.
- Please wear a face mask or cover, especially when inside or walking within 6 feet of others.
- Please make sure you follow all safety protocols that our businesses have in place.
- We ask that you please bring hand sanitizer and use it frequently. In lieu of hand sanitizer, please feel free to wear gloves.
- Please refrain from excessively touching merchandise. Our merchants will be more than happy to assist you if you have any questions regarding their products.
- Each business will be monitoring in-store capacity, we ask that customers please be patient as you may experience a wait prior to entering a store.
- If you feel ill, please stay home.
- DDA staff and volunteers will be on-site throughout this event to assist you and our businesses.
- Please be kind. You may be reminded of these safety protocols throughout the duration of the event by our DDA staff and volunteers. Please don’t be upset, as our goal is to look out for everyone’s well-being and safety.
Please note that these safety precautions might be updated per any future Executive Order issued by the Governor, or Public Health Orders issued by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).