Absentee Ballot Process
Following the passage of Proposal 18-3, ANY resident may complete an in-person voter registration through Election Day at the City Clerk's Office. Registrants must have proof of residency if it is within 14 days of the election.
Click here to view to fill out the May 3, 2022, Michigan Absentee Voter Ballot Application.
- NOTE: Ballots will be mailed out at the end of March for the May Election. Please allow the postal service until the end of April 8, 2022, to get your absentee ballot before reaching out to the Clerk.
Click here to view the State of Michigan Absentee Ballot Site.
All absentee ballots must be received in the Clerk's office by 8:00 pm on Election Day.
Understanding the Absentee Ballot Process
Step-by-Step Absentee Voting Process
Step One: Ways to Request an Absentee Ballot Application: Your ballot is secure, efficient, and will count!
Call clerk’s office and ask for one, we will mail it
Find the application on this page or michigan.gov/vote
Once the application is completed, mail back to Clerk’s office, drop it in our secure drop box at City Hall, scan or take a photo and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Make sure to actually sign the application. As part of our secure absentee voting process, we verify each signature before mailing out a ballot
- Mail a ballot to your residence. Not at home? No worries, there is a place on the application to list a temporary address. If you prefer to pick up your absentee ballot, we will make safe arrangements to do so. The City Clerk’s Office will record your ballot as sent.
Fill out your ballot
Place in the enclosed return envelope
The envelope does require postage. Two forever stamps will do the trick
Make sure to SIGN THE RETURN ENVELOPE. We must have a signature to accept that voted ballot. If it is not signed, we will contact you with the next steps.
Once we verify the signature on the ballot we will log it in as received.
Step Four: All ballots are kept in the City Hall secure vault until election day
Step Five: You can follow the entire process at michigan.gov/elections
- Scroll down the page and click on the Michigan Votes icon.
- Then click on “track your absentee ballot.”
- This is a State primary election which means you CANNOT cross parties. You must select a party and vote within your party for all partisan sections of the ballot
Check the Permanent Absentee list box on your application to receive an absentee ballot list or just call or email the Clerk’s Office and ask
You can check at michigan.gov/elections to make sure you were added to the list! You do that by filling out the voter registration portion of the webpage: https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/
Where is My Absentee Ballot?
The State of Michigan Department of State now offers a new Absentee Ballot tracking tool. This tool is part of the Michigan Voter Information System which can also check your voter registration status and preview your sample ballot.
The Ballot Tracking tool will provide:
- The date your Absentee Ballot Application was received by the City Clerk.
- The date your Absentee Ballot was mailed to you.
- Confirmation that your completed ballot has been received and is ready to be counted on Election Day.