Subscribe on Youtube

Public Safety Information

Accident Reports

Accident reports are available at the Public Safety Department 24 hours after an incident during normal business hours, unless the case is still under investigation. Cost is $5.00 per report.

Block Party Permits

Permits are required for block parties if your party includes closing a public street. Applications available at the Public Safety Department at returned at least one week prior to party date. Permits are available from the Public Safety Department, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Block Party Guidelines and Regulations.

Crossing Guards

Crossing Guards are needed throughout the school year to ensure the safety of our children. Work hours for crossing guards vary. For additional information, stop by either the Public Safety Department or Finance Department or complete our employment application.

Outside Burning

outdoor burning

City of Berkley ordinance prohibits outdoor burning on public or private ground within City limits.  It is illegal to burn leaves, garbage, rubbish, refuse, trees, stumps and tires.  Also included are materials of any kind that release odor, smoke or other matter.

The use of “Chiminea” outdoor fireplaces, metal grill fire pit devices, or similar items, is a violation of local ordinance. If you notice any outdoor burning within City limits, please contact the Public Safety Department at 248-658-3380.

Overnight Parking

Parking on the streets is prohibited from 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. throughout the city. Temporary permits may be granted for a limited period of time for special occasions and other circumstances such as construction. Permits are available at the Public Safety Department 24 hours a day.

Parking During Snow Emergencies

When a snow emergency is in effect, all parked vehicles must be removed from city streets. Vehicles not removed from the street during a snow emergency interfere with plowing efforts and could contribute to hazardous road conditions. Such vehicles may be ticketed and/or towed at the owner’s expense.

Proper Use of 911

The use of 911 is reserved for emergency situations only. Dial 911 for all medical and fire response requests. For all other business, please call (248) 541-9000.

Vacation Watch

If you are going on vacation, don't forget to notify the department of Public Safety.  The officers can keep an extra check on your home while you are away.  Call 248-658-3380.