5G Small Cell
To learn more about what local governments are doing to understand and work with the wireless companies, check out these resources below:
- Federal Communications Commission on 5G
- American Public Works Association on 5G
- Michigan Municipal League on 5G
- Verizon 5G Goes Live
What is 5G?
5G stands for fifth-generation cellular wireless. 5G is intended to bring communities three new aspects to cellular wireless:
- Bigger channels (to speed up data)
- Lower latency (to be more responsive)
- The ability to connect a lot more devices at once (for sensors and smart devices)
What Regulations Do We Have Control Over?
With our Small Cell Wireless Facilities Ordinance, it will allow us to regulate small cell wireless infrastructure and the activities of wireless infrastructure providers and wireless service providers in regard to the placement and siting of “Small Cell” facilities.
To see the State of Michigan's "Small Wireless Communications Facilities Deployment Act"