Pick-Up Schedule: Not sure when your trash pickup day is? Check the schedule below or check out the map available here.
Printable flyer with the City of Berkley Garbage Rules & Regulations
- 11 Mile to 12 Mile, between Coolidge & Woodward: Tuesday
- 11 Mile to Webster, between Greenfield & Coolidge: Friday
Holiday Pickup: When a holiday falls on a weekday, collection for the remaining days of the week will be delayed one day. Trash collection is not affected if the holiday falls on a weekend. Affected holidays include:
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- Independence Day
Garbage Bag Sales: Garbage bags are sold at the Department of Public Works at 3238 Bacon Street. Boxes are $11.00. Please note the price is subject to change. There is a 5-box limit. Cash or check only.
General Information: The City provides for solid waste pick-up only. Liquid waste in any form cannot be placed at the curb for pick-up. If you have any questions, please contact our office.
- All garbage must be placed in 20 to 35 gallon containers with handles or in plastic garbage bags, and shall not weigh more than 50 pounds .
- Cardboard boxes are not acceptable garbage containers and will not be picked up
- Cardboard should be flattened into 2x2 pieces, cut and tied, and put out for recycling in your recycling bin or stuffed tightly into a box no larger than your recycling bin
- All garbage must be placed at the curb by 7:00 am the day of pick up.
Map of trash collection route available here.
Appliances & Furniture:
Items such as refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, hot water tanks, sofas, mattresses and other household furniture are picked up on the regular trash day.
- Doors must be removed from refrigerators and freezers.
- Televisions, microwaves, home computers and other small electrical items are now recyclable. They can be taken to SOCRRA Please call (248) 288-5153 for an appointment.
Carpeting: Carpeting and padding must be cut to three (3) feet in width, rolled and tied in bundles weighing less than fifty (50) pounds.
Wood, Gutters & Pipes: These items must be cut to three (3) feet in length and tied in bundles weighing less than fifty (50) pounds. All nails must be removed.
The City of Berkley does not pick up the following items:
Automobile Parts: Automobile parts, frames, bodies, should be taken to a scrap metal yard. Automobile batteries should be left at the place of purchase or can be disposed of at many car care facilities.
Used Oil Collection Discontinued: Due to hazardous waste compliance laws Public Works will no longer accept used motor oil. Free disposal is available at:
- Professional Auto: 3572 W. 12 Mile
- O'Reilly's: 27906 Woodward
Concrete & Bricks: The contractor should remove these items. They may also be taken to the Concrete Crusher. Please call 586-939-6200 for more information.
Dirt, Sand, Construction Refuse & Roofing: These items are the responsibility of the contractor. They may be taken to SOCRRA for a fee (248) 288-5153.
Tires: These can be taken to many tire businesses or car care facilities.
Oil Based Paint, Flammable Liquids & Household Hazardous Waste: These items may be taken to SOCRRA. Please make an appointment first by calling (248) 288-5153. Latex paint can be disposed of in the regular trash if lids are removed and paint is hard. To help dry out Latex paints, use sand or kitty litter.
Medical Waste: Waste should be taken to a hospital or doctor’s office for disposal. Syringes may be placed in a red hazardous waste container and taken to SOCRRA.