Residential Recycling Guidelines
For Berkley's curbside recycling rules and regulations, go to the SOCRRA web site.
- Residents may now recycle their used computers and other electronic equipment such as TV’s, microwaves, VCR’s, radios, CD players, etc. by taking them to SOCRRA (appointment required).
- Latex paint can be disposed of at the curb. Lids must be removed and the paint must be hard. Cat litter or sand can be mixed with paint to speed up the hardening process. Cans should be placed in garbage containers, not loose at the curb.
- Oil paint is a hazardous waste and must be taken to SOCRRA for disposal. SOCRRA is located on Coolidge north of 14 Mile Road across from Meijers. Appointment required! Call 248-288-5153 to schedule an appointment.
- Cardboard boxes are not acceptable as trash containers. Do not place trash in boxes – they will not be picked up. Garbage cans and garbage bags are the only accepted containers.
- To recycle cardboard boxes, bend or cut boxes into 2’ x 2’ sections and tie into bundles of less than 50 pounds or stuff cardboard into smaller boxes (be sure to pack it in tightly).
- Extra recycling bins may be purchased at the Department of Public Works for $12.00. There is no limit on the number of bins put at the curb.
- SOCRRA's drop off center has a paper shredder for public use. Drop off hard cover books, plastic bags, CD's, VHS Tapes and more. Check the SOCRRA website for details.
SOCRRA has launched a program to increase commercial recycling. Representatives from SOCRRA will consult with you to assess your needs and provide you with free bins and/or carts and free weekly collection of recyclables. More information is available at socrra.org.
If you've made the switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs there's a few things you need to know about disposing of them. If broken, care needs to be taken in clean up and disposal of debris.
- Broken CFLs can be placed in the normal trash (if sealed in two plastic bags); or
- Berkley residents may take broken bulbs to SOCRRA for disposal. SOCRRA is located on Coolidge north of 14 Mile Road across from Meijers; an appointment is required. Call 248-288-5153 to schedule an appointment.
If your CFL burns out within the warranty period, the bulb should be returned to the original retailer (along with the sales receipt) for replacement.
Trees can be placed at the curb and will be collected on your regular branch pickup day. Trees can also be dropped off December 26-January 10 at various Oakland County Parks seven days, 9 am - 4 pm. Please remove all decorations, metal, plastic and string.
Addison Oaks near Oxford; Catalpa Oaks in Southfield; Glen Oaks in Farmington Hills; Groveland Oaks near Holly; Independence Oaks near Clarkston; Lyon Oaks in Lyon Township; Orion Oaks in Orion Township; Red Oaks in Madison Heights; Springfield Oaks in Davisburg; Waterford Oaks in Waterford; and White Lake Oaks in White Lake Township.