Utility Bills & Payment
The DPW operates operates the city's water and sewer system for residential and commercial property. Services include meter installation and reading, maintenance of the city's water/sewer infrastructure and residential and commercial billing.
Water bills are sent of a quarterly basis and payments are due on the 18th of the month that the bill is received. If the 18th is on a weekend or holiday, payments are due on the next business day. Additional fees will be added to late payments.
Payments can be made at city hall or online. City hall hours are from 8:30 AM until 5 PM. The building is closed from 1 PM - 2 PM daily. For your convenience, a drop-box for payments is located outside of city hall.
For more information on billing and payment options - explore the topics below.
Water & Sewer Rates - 2017/18
Click here to see the charges listed on the quarterly water/sewer service invoice for Berkley and a brief explanation of those charges.
Many communities in southeast Oakland County base the total water/sewer service invoice on water consumption only.
A professional analysis performed by a court order showed that a breakdown of costs similar to our rate structure was much more equitable for all residents.
An annual survey of southeast Oakland County communities on water/sewer rates shows Berkley has continued to be well below the average on the comparison chart for rates.
How to Pay Your Bill Automatically
Save time and money by having your water/sewer bill payments automatically debited from your checking or savings account without having to write checks.
How Do I Enroll?
- Enrollment is easy! Simply complete steps 1-4 on the Direct Payment Enrollment Form and return the completed, signed form to Public Works.
- Then, continue to pay as you normally would until you receive a notification on your bill that the service is active.
- Once you sign-up your enrollment will stay effective until you send a written notice to the city to discontinue this service!
- Important! This is not a method for one time online payment! For more information on a one time online payment, visit the dropdown option on this page.
Why should I sign up for direct payment?
- No need to stand in lines to buy stamps or wait in line at City Hall to make a payment.
- No worries about missing a deadline and paying a late fee – because the payments are made on time every time – your bill is paid on the due date.
How Does Direct Payment Work?
- You will still receive a water/sewer bill statement indicating the amount due and the due date.
- The bill will state "Do Not Pay, Payment Made by Direct Payment."
- On the due date, the payment is drafted from your account to pay the bill in full. The bill statement and your bank statement will serve as your receipt.
Do I have to pay a fee for this service?
- The city does not charge a fee for this service; however, if a payment is returned “insufficient funds,” there will be a $25 service fee just like there currently is with returned checks.
What if I change my mind or change banks?
- If you change banks, you will need to complete a new enrollment form and allow approximately 30 days for the change to go into effect. If we do not receive a notice in writing of the change in banks – and your payment is returned for “insufficient funds,” there will be a $25 service fee just like there currently is with returned checks.
- If you change your mind and want to discontinue using the direct payment option – you must notify us in writing and allow 30 days for the change to go into effect.
Pay Your Water Bill Online or by Phone
Before beginning be sure to have the following information ready:
For current year tax payments
- Your 15 digit parcel number (begins with 04)
- Total amount due from your tax bill
- Your credit card information, including expiration date
For water payments
- Your 9 digit water account number (begins with a zero)
- Total amount due from your water bill
- Your credit card information, including expiration date
To make a payment by phone:
- Dial 1-800-2PAYTAX (1-800-272-9829)
- Select Option 3
- Enter your Jurisdiction Code: 3267
- Follow the messages, inputting data where necessary
- Wait for a confirmation number before hanging up
To make a payment online:
- Click here to visit the 'Official Payments' website
- Select local payments and enter your zip code, or select the "Payment Center" tab, select local payments and enter either your zip code or the Jurisdiction Code
- Select a payment type
- Enter the necessary information
- Submit the payment
- Wait for a confirmation number
Please note: There is a convenience fee for using this service. This fee is collected and retained by Official Payments - not the City of Berkley. Payments for water bills are limited to $500 or less per transaction. Click here to access 'Official Payments' online Fee Calculator.
Delinquent (Prior Year) Tax Payments
Delinquent taxes may be paid online at the Oakland County website. Be sure to read their instructions and fee information before making payment.
Leaving Berkley For the Winter
Attention Snow Birds!
Do you leave the city in the Winter for warmer climates?
Sign up for automatic payment for your water bill, or
Call or email the Department of Public Works to temporarily change the mailing address for your bill. Be sure to notify us when you return to Berkley so we can update your address.
The water can be shut off at the curb to limit concerns with pipes freezing within the building footprint.
If you set up a forwarding address for your mail at the post office, be aware that because water bills are mailed to “Occupant” the post office will not forward these bills..
Final Water Bill
Final water bills are calculated using the inside meter reading. The occupant of the home must take the inside meter reading to the Public Works Department. For complete instructions on how to obtain a final water bill call the Public Works Department