Department of Public Works
Public Works (DPW) will be open to the public starting Monday, June 14 for partial hours (8:30 AM - 1 PM).
DPW is available via phone at 248-658-3490 during standard work hours (7 AM - 3:30 PM) or by email at email@example.com.
What to Expect When City Facilities Open
- Masks are not required for both the public and staff but are strongly encouraged.
- Staff will continue to submit to a daily COVID-19 screening questionnaire per MiOSHA requirements.
- Staff will continue frequent cleaning procedures, especially for high-touch surface areas such as service counters.
- Signs encouraging social distancing and best practices will be prominently posted throughout the buildings and on the entrance doors.
- Plastic shields or "Sneeze Guards" will remain over the counters to limit person-to-person contact with staff and residents.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be maintained at all entrances.
- A Note About Payments: Please visit our Finance/Treasury page to learn more about how payments will be accepted.
All of the above practices will be determined by CDC, State, and County guidelines, and may be altered if and when needed.
Not comfortable coming into the office? Accessing many of our DPW services CAN STILL BE DONE via phone, email, through a dropbox submission, or US mail.
Wondering How to Get in Touch With Other Departments?
Branch Out Berkley Fall Tree Program
We are offering our Fall Street Tree Program FREE of charge!
The beauty of Berkley's tree-lined streets is a result of the successful Tree Planting Program. The young trees that are planted are about 1½ inches in diameter and approximately 10 feet tall.
Please note if a tree was removed from the right-of-way, it takes at least 5 years for the roots to break down to allow for a new tree to be planted in the same area. New tree placement is also contingent upon underground utility locations and the size of the greenbelt. Trees will be made available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Click here for the Tree Planting Program Information Packet and Order Form.
About Public Works
Location: 3238 Bacon Berkley MI, 48072
The Department of Public Works (DPW) conducts and coordinates a wide variety of street maintenance, sanitation, and water/sewer services for the City of Berkley including, but not limited to, the following:
- Street maintenance services include sweeping, mowing, forestry, patching, crack sealing, striping, signage, plowing/salting, and other capital improvements for roughly 53 miles of city-owned streets, tree planting and landscaping at municipal sites.
- Sanitation services include the coordination of residential and commercial refuse collection, recycling, yard waste, curbside leaf pickup, and brush removal.
- Fleet maintenance services include the coordination and performance of repairs and preventive maintenance and procurement of city-owned vehicles and heavy equipment.
NOTE: To report water main breaks and other water-related emergencies that occur after hours, contact the Public Safety Department, 248-658-3380.
Public Works Director